Monday, February 07, 2005

Gamestation Diary: Day 1

Welcome all, I'm here to tell you about what its like working at Gamestation. I was told it's the fastest growing retail chain in history today and to be honest it's hard to doubt that fact when you see the data. It was started in 2000 by a pair of college students on a £5000 loan and in the next 4 years it had grown from 1 store to over 200 across the UK. By the end of the year its expected that there will be 450 stores in the UK (7 are opening this month).

Anyhoo history gone here are the 3 guys I was working with today.

Mark (Manager)
Towards the end of the day he was on the phone a lot talking about some sort of training course at 9:30 tomorrow. Like everyone else he was slowing down towards the end of the day as fatigue set in. Whether that was related to the seemingly tedious stocktake is probable.

Kev (Ass. Manager)
Appropriate abbreviation let me tell you. Never failed to remind anyone that Gamestation was my 4th choice for work experience. Wasn't slowing down as much as Mark as the day wore on and continued to crack jokes (usually at my expense).

Lee
Pretty much my working partner for the day. In charge of scoping out the laydees in the store seemingly as he spent a lot of time by the surveillance cameras. I left him with over 100 PC games to file and price at the end of the day as I knew that I could go after 3:30 and he was working til 6. At least they won't be there tomorrow.

For most of today me and Lee were sorting, filing and pricing the huge stack of preowned games. Even Mark was impressed as we stormed through the PC bin, then the Xbox bin, then the PS1 bin and finally the retro bin. Then he pulled out a big box of Xbox games which kept us busy for an hour, then another smaller box of Xbox games to do before finally bringing out a huge box of about 200 PC games. The procedure for filing games goes like this.

1) Take out booklet and other documentation
2) Put disc in the booklet and put that lot in a small plastic bag
3) Put the bag in the filing draw ready to be pulled out when the game is bought
4) Stick a preowned price sticker on the now empty box
5) Scan the box on the price checker in the back and write the price on the sticker
6) With a sizable stack of filed and priced boxes head out front and put them on the shelves in no particular order
7) Repeat for another stack

I decided that a good stack size would be 15/20 games but throughout the day it varied from 6 games to 40 games (never again). Eventualy I think I settled on an average of 14.

Much hilarity came from when Lee reappeared from his lunch break. He'd been to the Reunion chippy and to Greggs (a bakers). He came back with...

Chips covered in cheese
A cheeseburger
A sausage and bean melt
A chocolate eclair
A flake fancy
A bottle of Sprite

Fat git.

Same time tomorrow guys. I need to recover as I'm knackered.

And yes. I did get a Gamestation shirt.

Tomorrow
No BS, the DS

No comments: