Friday, November 26, 2004

The A-Z of My Life: E

E is for Emulation

Scourge of the gaming industry (apparently) but I've always enjoyed the extra benefits that emulation can bring. Without it I would never have played games like Chrono Trigger and Shining Force. I first got into emulation through my mate Oli who'd come across the Mega Drive (Genesis) emulator DGen. Once I hit the net at home I explored emulation a lot more and discovered more. So what do I use for emulation?

Mega Drive - Kega (switched from DGen pretty quickly but also use Gens)
Snes - ZSnes (accept no substitute)
GBA - Visual Boy Advance (I use Rascal Boy for multiplayer though)
PSX - ePSXe (pain in the ass at first but I got used to it)
Atari ST - STeem (only retro console I feel comfortable with)
Nintendo 64 - 1964 (defected from PJ64)

For emulators I go to Zophar's Domain and for roms I usually use IfritRoms.com which I co-admin. In the past I've used Emuparadise before it became spyware central and Emumaniacs before I learnt the problems with leeching. There's lots of games I've discovered with emulation and I'll bet that there's plenty more.

No comments: